A 12 yr old boy while doing his daily rituals - shouting in a rhythm - "chai chai", wakes us all up. Mom asked (actually shouted) - "chotu! which station is it?". He replied - "chawni" and just ran ahead on the railway platform. Mom saying to herself - "hmm chawni ... this is not our station - wonder when would this ... stupid ... Jalandhar come".
It was early 5:00 a.m. on Aug 12, 2002. I was supposed to report for my first day at college. My parents and I had travelled over 3000 k.m. - spanning almost 60 hours - from Cochin to Jalandhar. The train in no time blew its horn and started to pick up speed. There was a display board with a chrome yellow background - bright due to the 50W bulb hanging right above it, and big bold black letters. Letters were both in English, Hindi and definitely Punjabi. I am sure mom read the hindi letters and I read the English ones. It read - "Jalandhar Cantt.". Later - one of the days in the 4 yrs of transformation @ NIT Jalandhar, I was told 'chawni' meant a cantonment area or in short 'cantt.'.
While registering at the Academic Branch - we were told that the 1st day of reporting had been postponed to Aug 19 (a week later). It was an eventful beginning - 10 Years ago.
It's been 10 Years since I joined my college,
must say adolescence was my age.
So many things that I could have done right,
now I wonder with my foresight.
But it was perfect - what eva you say,
no way I would have made some hay.
Its been 10 Years since I graduated from school,
Ain't it so cool!
I was all excited then and also scared,
wondering would my future be bad.
It used to be a race to the bell,
when we all dressed up for our farewell.
Its been 10 Years since I left home,
a boy had been left all alone.
It made me cry and it made me say -
I will be good wherever I stay.
If I had been at home instead,
my destiny wouldn't have made ME.
I have met some wonderful people,
whom I thank would be just a little.So a para just for you,
who have shared me in your moments
I had fun in these years and learnt a lot of things,
Things like shaving, making my own bed, how to have fun when you are alone :)
And now I even take care of my own family -
Lets see how the next 10 Yrs go ...
... as it is Ten Years and Running!!
P. S. - Will try to improve on my writing skills in the next 10 Yrs ;)
Nicely written Tripat, although words fall short to describe those wonder years :)
ReplyDelete